Fifth Sunday of Lent - March 17

 Jeremiah 31:31-34     Hebrews 5:7-9     John 12:20-33

I am sure this scenario at the Greene dinner table is not unique: we are all eating dinner talking about our day and someone asks a very benign but sincere question about something and then Denis jumps in and launches into a very long explanation about the break-down of the bicameral mind, and everyone else rolls their eyes or shoots the original questioner a “why did you say that??” and secretly bets how long it will take him to mention his time in Africa.

Today’s scripture readings are very familiar. Jeremiah 31:33 is basically a mantra in my prayer journal. I am also writing this at the New Year so the psalmist’s gratitude of a clean slate (“a clean heart create for me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me”) is also occupying my prayer life currently.

But my attention today lies with the poor apostle, Philip, who has been approached by Greeks wanting to be introduced to Jesus. One commentary I read likened it to new fans who “just wanted an autograph or something;” Jesus did just raise Lazarus from the dead and all. Philip knows from experience how this is going to play out, so he seeks out James to help with the ask. I can’t help but picture Phillip, during and after Jesus’s very long explanation about the grain of wheat, people who love life losing it and the Voice from above, chiming in. I picture him nervously glancing over and giving a double thumbs-up to the Greeks, who, as far as we know, are still just off to the side, eagerly waiting for that introduction and autograph.

Reading scripture can be tricky, especially John’s gospel. So, as a parent, teacher, church lady, and theology nerd, I take this as a reminder that sometimes people don’t need the discourse. They just need me to be there for them to make the introduction, and to remind them that they actually already have God’s autograph.

"I will place my law within them, and write it upon their hearts…"

Q: Do I ever pause and discern the best way to answer someone’s question, especially about God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Wednesday of the First Week of Lent

Palm Sunday - March 24