Wednesday of the First Week of Lent

Jonah 3:1-10     Luke 11:29-32

Like Jonah, God is calling each of us every day to help accomplish his Will in the world. When we do good and when we fail to do good, he loves us the same. He is anxiously waiting for us to take his hand and feel his grace in our lives. In scripture he uses our love for our children as an example for how he loves us. As a mom of two little boys who mean more to me than anything in the world, nothing resonates with me quite like that. My love for them is so strong and my desire to protect them so intense. If I would do anything for my children to feel peace, love and protection, how much more does God want that for us and how much more will he fight for that for us?

Every Lent I tell myself “this Lent is going to be different.” I am going to spend more time in prayer with the Lord, give distractions up and do better. And almost every Lent, I fall short. I disappoint myself and feel like I let God down. As I get older, the pressure never changes, but I see more clearly that God wants as much of me however and whenever he can get my attention even when I fail. And while he and I know I will often fall short; he loves me the same.

When I am still, what my heart knows is what he has told me my whole life and what I have failed to fully understand. He wants to carry the burden, he wants me to walk hand in hand with him because he loves me. Giving everything to God is the simplest thing we can do and yet can be one of the most challenging things to do. But if we give everything to God and fully believe in his promises, in the purpose of his will and his love, nothing is too much to bear and NOTHING is too great for God.

Q: What signs of God’s love have I seen today? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday