Thursday of the Second Week of Lent

Jeremiah 17:5-10     Luke 16:19-31

When I reflect on today’s readings, it reminds me of a time when I was agonizing over a difficult decision. I spent hours analyzing and overthinking the pros and cons of each alternative. I finally turned to my mother-in-law for guidance. She listened patiently as I laid out every last detail of my thought process. When I was finished, there was a long pause and she asked me “have you prayed about it?” At the time, I was so taken aback by her question...pray about it? Why would I pray about it? I made this pro and con list and talked myself in circles about it! That's when a lightbulb went off. I was trying to control my life in a methodical manner and it wasn’t serving me. I didn’t have the clarity I needed because I was only relying on myself. There was no trust or faith in God, and his divine plan.

Now, as a wife and mother of two young children, it feels as though there is even more beyond my control. I can relate to the words in today's scripture, “He is like a tree planted beside the waters that stretches out its roots to the stream, it fears not heat when it comes, its leaves stay green.” I envision myself as the tree, constantly balancing all of the daily obstacles that come with raising small children. Just when I think “my branches might snap” - my patience and capacity to manage it all - I say a Hail Mary or a short prayer. It’s amazing how often I am refreshed with the grace to move forward. Prayer and trust in the Lord are the roots to my tree, stable, and life giving.

Lent reminds us that it may be tempting to take on life's many challenges and decisions on our own, but, true peace and clarity comes from taking a pause, praying, and having faith that God will in fact provide.

Q: What obstacles and stress in my life do I need to turn over to God in prayer? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Wednesday of the First Week of Lent

Ash Wednesday