Second Sunday of Lent

 Genesis22:1-2,9a,10-13,15-18     Romans8:31-34     Mark 9:2-10

Today’s readings intertwine the messages of tested faith and the affirmation of God’s promise to us, fulfilled in Jesus. 

It is hard not to see the patterns of life repeat themselves: fashion, the coming and going of seasons, life’s milestones, financial markets, etc. We experience the cyclical peaks and troughs of life over and over. There are periods of expansion and contraction leading us through happy and challenging days. With our joy and suffering, our faith simultaneously meanders through strength and weakness. I hear this pattern in today’s readings.

I have three young children (Jack 5, Caroline 4 and Kennedy 2). I see their emotions ebb and flow hourly, sometimes minute by minute. In my current stage, I have a unique view on life. My children are changing in front of my eyes at such a rapid pace; mentally, emotionally, physically and cognitively growing. The child 30 – 60 – 90 days from now, that runs through my house (often screaming and refusing to wear pants), will transform. With that transformation, there will be new trials and new delights.

Someone much wiser than me once said, “Change is the only constant.” I lean on this expression often to remind myself that sleepless nights, tantrums, finding goldfish at the bottom of my purse, grabbing shmoo covered doorknobs are passing. So are the pitter patter of little feet down the hall, baby giggles, a toddler’s funny language exploration, and the warm engulfing embrace of a child running full speed to a parent. I can think of countless occasions of my own faithful strength and weakness. During this time of Lent, we can all reflect on these passages as we possibly endure suffering or enjoy the bounties of life. Know that both will pass and come again, but God walks with us through the ups and downs; his promise fulfilled.

Q: What changes in my life can I reflect on today where God has walked with me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Wednesday of the First Week of Lent

Ash Wednesday