Wednesday of Holy Week - March 27, 2024

 Isaiah 50:4-9a      Matthew 26:14-25

Today's readings center around Judas’ betrayal. It's hard to imagine how Jesus contained his human emotions knowing that Judas was going to betray him. Jesus had chosen Judas and spent 3 years with this disciple and although there is not any mention of their interactions prior to this first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, the day before the Last Supper, today it is clear that Jesus knows what is in Judas' heart. Judas had planned his betrayal of Jesus for a period of time before the Last Supper as we are told in this gospel. He previously received thirty pieces of silver from the chief priests and was looking for an opportunity to hand Him over. Judas’ greed and ego kept him from seeing that seemingly unforgivable sin he committed until it was too late. Only after Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice by dying on the cross did Judas realize the magnitude of his betrayal.

As we are called to live our faith each day I sometimes wonder how I may have betrayed Jesus in my own actions. Although they are not of the magnitude of Judas' betrayal, the words of the confession of our sins that we make at Mass each Sunday help me realize how in ways both big and small I betrayed our Lord. "In my thoughts, in my words, in what I have done and what I have failed to do..." help us ask for forgiveness of our sins. When I say those words and examine my conscience it makes me realize that sometimes I do not always think and act in ways that exemplify the best version of myself, the version of myself that God wants me to be.

But I have consolation in knowing that God forgives our sins if we make a real effort to follow in his ways each and every day. Betrayal is not the final word if we acknowledge our sins. Our Lord knows what is in our hearts. As we enter into the Triduum let us open our hearts to God to receive His mercy and love.

Q: When do I feel I have betrayed Jesus in my thoughts, in my words, in what I have done or what I have failed to do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

Friday after Ash Wednesday