Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent - March 21

Genesis17:3-9     John 8:51-59

In both passages today we see divine promises revealed. Divine promises are promises made by God to the people. In both the Old and New Testament, we see God make covenants with his people even after they disobey him.

In Genesis, God establishes his covenant with Abraham. God promises Abraham as many descendants as there are stars in the sky and a Promised Land in Canaan. This promise with Abraham shows that even though God is ethereal and omnipotent, he still desires a relationship with us. 

In the Gospel according to John, Jesus makes a similar pact with the people. He promises that whoever believes in Him and obeys His word will have eternal life in Heaven. This is another divine promise. Jesus gives us everlasting life if we follow him.

In both readings we see a covenant between God and the people. This reminds me of the promises I have made in my own life. Examples such as my parents promising me a bright future if I work hard; and my teachers telling me that if I pay attention, I can get good grades. Similar to those in the Bible who made covenants with God, I disobey my parents and teachers; even thought I know that they are more experienced and know more about what I’m going through. These passages remind me to always uphold my promises and heed the words of the people more experienced than me.

Q: What promises have I made and to whom?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Wednesday of the First Week of Lent

Ash Wednesday