Tuesday of the First Week of Lent

 Isaiah 55:10-11     Matthew 6:7-15

When I was young, my Noni (aka Grandmother) used to say: “We all have our crosses to bear.”  At points in our lives the burdens are heavier than others, but we all experience and endure them.

As I contemplated the readings for today, the initial message to me was the Lord is here for us, encouraging us to lean on and trust in him to share and alleviate our earthly burdens. “I sought the Lord and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears…Look to him that you may be radiant with joy…The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and those who are crushed in spirit he saves.”

Last year a wise fellow parishioner encouraged me to partake in the Surrender Novena, which I did. It includes a response of “O Jesus, I surrender myself to You, take care of everything!” Was the outcome perfect? No, like many things in our journeys, I was unable at times to shed issues as I should. However, I can honestly say it had a positive impact.

An additional message to me grew from “forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us;” along with “If you forgive men their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions.”

Currently, it seems like the ability to forgive has been greatly diminished. Grudges have certainly been in existence throughout history, but this era seems to be one of “thinner skins” and a lack of appreciation and tolerance for diverse/opposing views. We all have transgressions on occasion.  If we want the Lord to forgive us for our own foibles, doesn’t it seem logical to do the same as well and turn the other cheek? This is not a sign of weakness, but one of strength, and a freeing experience as well.

During this Lenten season, I encourage all of us to give our burdens to the Lord and forgive those that trespass against us. It won’t be easy, but I am confident it will be rewarding.

Q: What burden can I sacrifice to the Lord today? Who needs my forgiveness today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Wednesday of the First Week of Lent

Ash Wednesday