Friday of the Second Week of Lent

 Genesis 37:3-4, 12-13a, 17b-28a       Matthew 21:33-43, 45-46

As a life-long Catholic still early in my journey of scripture interpretation, I must say I was relieved to be assigned the well-known story of Joseph. Coming off of my first trip to the J KC last Summer for the production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (this is my subtle plug to check out the lovely White Theater) I felt a few steps ahead of the task.

In many ways, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice did a clever job of telling Joseph’s story. An inspiring one of a young man who caught a good tailwind in life and made it big by harnessing his talents. The narrator says, “But all that I say can be told another way, in the story of a boy whose dream came true, and he could be you”–as though the story was really about our ability to make our dreams come true, just like Joe. Joseph goes on to say “Anyone from anywhere can make it if they get a lucky break!” As entertained as I was, the musical felt a bit more God-free than I expected.

The Bible’s narrative of Joseph is a far greater message. Joseph's life is a reminder that God is in Control – at ALL Times and in ALL Circumstances. Even (and especially) when things make little to no sense. It’s about God who works all things to his grand purpose and the well-being of his children. (Yes, that’s you and me.)

As the story of Joseph goes, God worked it out so that the brothers’ evil intent became their salvation, since Joseph was able to keep them fed during the famine that ravaged the region.

It is as if God's salvation is not on the other side of suffering but through it. I have my own conviction here, with our son’s rare and devastating medical diagnosis that has led our family to a deeper understanding of faith, love, sacrifice, commitment, gratitude, and ultimately joy.

May the story of Joseph inspire us to contemplate the ways that suffering and triumph are interlinked and to consider the presence of God in the midst of good and bad alike.

Q: In my life, when has a difficult, even unjust situation led to an unexpected grace?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Wednesday of the First Week of Lent

Ash Wednesday