Friday of the First Week of Lent

 Ezekiel 18:12-28     Matthew 5:20-26

Reflecting on these readings, I think about the concepts of reconciliation and community. In the reading from Ezekiel we are reminded that God's forgiveness is always available to us. In the reading from Matthew, Jesus tells his disciples "unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees you will not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven." I take this to mean we must go beyond merely "following the rules." We are called to see God in the people around us and serve others as a means of serving God.

Jesus goes on to say we must reconcile our differences with our brothers and sisters before we can experience the full presence of God. I am reminded of something said by the pastor of my former parish. He said, "the Church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints." I believe we are called to nurture and care for one another on our faith journeys. We don't do this alone. Our community is at its best when we rejoice in our neighbors' answered prayers and mourn their losses and suffering.

I completed the "Christ Renews His Parish" retreat in 2023. I have been so blessed by this community of women who have witnessed God's presence in such a meaningful way.

God forgives our sins and wants us to live in a spirit of love, forgiveness, and acceptance. I used to think of these teachings only as a means to get to heaven. I have come to understand that incorporating these concepts in our lives is a path to a richer, more joyful, and peaceful life here on earth as well.

Q: Who will I nurture and show care for today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Wednesday of the First Week of Lent

Ash Wednesday