First Sunday of Lent

 Genesis 9:8-15     1 Peter 3:18-22     Mark 1:12-15

In Mark’s gospel, he talks about how Jesus was cast into “the desert for 40 days and tempted by Satan. He was “among wild beasts, and the angels ministered to him.” The readings speaking of Jesus in the desert are always impressive to me. In the desert for 40 days without food and water?! While I hope I don’t have to live in the desert for 40 days to find my closeness with God, I do often feel like we are all living in our own desert at times. My desert comes after working long days as a pediatrician where I am trying to give my all to my patients. I come home after a 10 hour day, exhausted, trying to make dinner, and my three kids are running around the house taunting each other. I think of myself being in the desert, tempted by Satan, and how I should act towards these three beautiful children. Should I yell at them? Chase them around the house screaming? Or do I take a deep breath and calmly ask the kids to stop or come and help me with dinner. Do I always succeed? Definitely not. But I try.

In the second reading, it talked about how Jesus suffered for our sins, “the righteous for the sake of the unrighteous, that he might lead you to God.” He knows that I am not going to get it right every time. He knows I am going to fail, going to fall short. But I keep getting up and trying, keep going to church, keep trying to be a good example for my kids, and a good steward for Christ. It gives me peace to know that God is not present for those who are perfect, but for the sinners and the flawed. So next time when you are “in the desert,” take a minute to pause, listen to the Holy Spirit, and try each time to do better than the time before. And know that no matter what, Jesus will love and forgive you.

Q:  When do I feel like I’m in the desert? How do I act during this time?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday after Ash Wednesday

Wednesday of the First Week of Lent

Ash Wednesday